Azores: Government estimates storm damage at €35M


The storms that hit the Azores last week caused vast damage, leaving three dead on São Miguel island due to a landslide, and one injured and 30 people homeless on Terceira island.

Politics What's New — 19 March 2013 by Lusa News
Azores: Government estimates storm damage at €35M

The government of Vasco Cordeiro debated support to the affected families amounting to some €35m (Photograph: Azores Regional Government/All Rights Reserved)

The cost of damage caused by last week‘s storms on the islands of Terceira and São Miguel, which also claimed three lives, amounts to some €35m, the Azores regional government said on Tuesday.

The costs were totted up on Monday night at a meeting of the government in Horta, on Faial island.

Last Thursday, three men died in Faial da Terra in Povoação borough on São Miguel, when a landslide buried three houses. In Terceira, the storms also left one person slightly injured and 30 people homeless when a river burst its banks in Porto Judeu.

In a statement on Tuesday, the regional government said it analysed the resulting costs, which include damage caused to 41 homes in Porto Judeu and another four in Faial da Terra, as well as damage to roads, paths, forests, farmland and shops in São Miguel, Terceira and Flores island.

The administration also debated support to the affected families, the statement said, describing this as “one of the government’s priorities”.

The government has distributed food and other essentials as well as offering to repair homes, house the homeless and replace furniture and home appliances.

Related Articles

About Author

Lusa News

(0) Readers Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>