Roadworks were affected by severe weather conditions Wednesday, impeding access to the homes of seven families.
Severe weather conditions have had seven families desperately waiting to be rescued from the fajãs of Cubres and Caldeira do Santo Cristo in São Jorge, Azores, news agency Lusa revealed Wednesday.
The conditions have impeded roadworks necessary to access the families, but they are “in good health and have food,” the mayor of Calheta, Aires Reis, told Lusa. He added that access to the fajãs was only possible by foot and that the families could only leave their homes via pedestrian trails.
Access to Fajã dos Cubres was made possible early this afternoon, according to local newspaper Açoriano Oriental, which had been cut off since Monday.
José Contente, regional secretary of science, technology and equipment, will be visiting the affected area, namely Ribeira Seca where he said there are a “great number of workers” trying to re-establish access to several homes.
The regional highway of Lombo Gordo, in São Miguel, was also blocked Tuesday after a landslide filled it with earth, stones, branches and tree trunks.
The islands were recently hit by tropical storm Nadine in September as it moved across the Atlantic Ocean.
Photo by Eduardo Costa/LUSA